Friday, June 29, 2012

Apology #4


I'm sorry Norah Ephron died.  I don't think I'm to blame.  I didn't even know she was sick.  If there was anyone in the world I would have wanted to be it's Norah Ephron.  She was raised by a couple of film writers in Beverly Hills. She went to Wellesley and then to New York's upper west side and wrote wise and funny pieces for papers and magazines, and then she wrote wise and funny romantic comedies beginning with When Harry met Sally and ending with Julie and Julia.  You've got Mail is my favorite. I've only seen it a gajillion times.  She wrote a couple of novels and, recently, two books on aging.

I can't stop thinking of her humorous smile and her self-deprecating style in interviews.  She was a year and a half older than I am.

I'm' sorry she's gone.

6 comments:

  1. "I feel bad about my neck." -- One of my favorites. She brought a lot to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you. I'm sorry Norah is gone, too. She wrote in style that made me feel understood and appreciated as a woman. Sleepless in Seattle still makes me bawl like a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She always reminded me of you. Now you can remind me of her. I bet you could've been good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I do a confessional on here? When our daughter (now 24) was in HS, I read a paper she had written, and I accused her of plagiarism. I did not think she wrote as well as what I was reading. Major emotions erupted on both sides, and we, her parents, asked her to write a one-page paper on a subject (now I forget) so that we could compare and contrast the writing styles.

    Guilty, guilty, guilty: ME! ME! ME!

    She was and is a terrific writer. I was (and am?) a suspicious mother.

    I have already told her sorry so, so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. twebsterarmstrong - That is either some amazingly great, on-top-of-it parenting or you are starting to make Louise look like a pretty fabulous mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've felt little twinges throughout your apology series Louise. My confessionals would make all mothers look pretty fabulous. I am a big fan of Nora Ephron too. Who will take up her torch now?

    ReplyDelete