1. I never read HARRY POTTER. The hype annoyed me. I can be bull-headed when it comes to highly lauded works. There’s nothing virtuous about this. It just is what it is. I did see the first two movies.
2. I read the first book of TWILIGHT. Some good sexual tension there. Never saw any of the movies.
3. Until I was 30, I thought Evelyn Waugh was a woman.
4. Because of CHARLOTTE'S WEB, I never kill spiders.
5. I’ve never read anything that made me love snakes.
6. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose a best book, it would be THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV.
7. I hated the ending to CRIME AND PUNISHMENT. What was Dostevesky thinking?
8. I love it when Tom reads Holderlin aloud in German.
9. I have a girl crush on Mary Oliver.
10. I loved reading the WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA.
11. I can pinpoint the worst book I ever read, but I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Oh, I just thought of another worst book. And another!
12. I am not a naturally disciplined person, but I am a disciplined reader. That is, once I’ve begun, I have to finish a book. I’m not sure this is a virtuous habit. It may not even be true that I’m not disciplined. I may have to change my story.
13. I love big fat art and design books.
14. If I really love a book on Kindle, I end up buying it again in paper.
15. Plot never overrides language.
16. In my heart of hearts, I think Harper Lee’s second novel will be disappointing.
17. I once bought some second-hand physics textbooks, because I loved the pictures.
18. I can’t read Anthony Trollope without smiling.
19. I just read Bram Stoker’s DRACULA for the first time and loved it. Why did I wait so long?
20. Some of my favorite writers are my friends. Lucky me.
On another day, this would be a different list. So it goes.