Thursday, May 7, 2015

Robin Red Breast, I have your nest


Over the last several weeks,  a robin has built her nest on top of the drain pipe running along the side of the porch. I have seen her sitting there day after day and have been anticipating baby birds and the whole happy circle of life thing. 

Yesterday, the nest, so perfectly shaped and tightly woven, sat on the porch in front of the door.  Tom found it and called me.  I couldn't believe it.  But yes, the nest on the drain pipe was gone, and this was obviously it.  Had the wind blown it down in the storm the night before?  Had a kid put it there?

I crawled through bushes to look for broken eggs. Nothing.

I moved the nest against the inside wall of the porch not far from the wooden shoes, where I am charmed by its craftsmanship and saddened by its owner's loss.



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful birdless habitat. I hope another robin builds a nest for you.

    ReplyDelete