Wednesday, May 19, 2021

May has been a Month of Hope

 Hope has come this month in surprising ways. The first one: piano lessons. I've been taking for three weeks and I'm delirious about the piano. I like to practice. I like the structure. I like playing Carl Phillip Emanuel Bach. I even like the Hanon scales, although they make me curse occasionally, but I keep practicing and it gets better! Practicing brings phenomenal results. It feels magical. Practice feels magical. Felicitations to the piano gods!

Second, I'm reading HUMANKIND: A HOPEFUL HISTORY by Rutger Bregman and it exudes hope. At its core it believes humans are good. "The instinct to cooperate rather than compete, trust rather than distrust, has an evolutionary basis that goes right back to the beginning of our species. Thinking the worst of others not only affects how we regard other people, but our politics and economics too."

This book floats my boat, a boat that has been stuck in sludge and slime for a number of years. It's a mind-changer. Read it!

And last night, Linda and Doug came as our ministers. I'm slow to let new people into my life, but they were bright lights and loved to laugh and tell stories. We discovered we were at absolute different ends of the political scale but we decided not to care about it and be friends.

Trust rather than distrust.




No comments:

Post a Comment