Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I'm in Peoria Arizona

Last night, Tom and I flew down to see Sam, Sarah, Elliot (6) and Louis (3). They moved from SLC to Phoenix the end of July, which has put a hole in our lives.

This morning I met the boys in the kitchen and Elliot said, "Grandma, will you play chess with me?"

"Yes, I will," I said. "You might have to teach me again, because I haven't played for a long time."

He said he would when he came home from school.

Tom taught me how to play Chess after we moved into our first apartment on 418 Beta Street, #7 at the University of Utah. We played for six straight months every night and every night I lost. Six months of losing.

Then one lucky night, I checkmated him in four moves. 4! Tom was astonished.

I was elated. "That's it, " I said. "I'm never playing Chess with you again." And I laughed at him. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, a derisive laugh. Cackle cackle.

And I never did play Chess with him again.

But I will play with Elliot and I will try to beat him, but I have a feeling I'll be defeated. Elliot loves Chess. I suspect that's because he's good at it. All I want for him is to have a memory of playing Chess with his Grandmother. Everyone wins that one.






6 comments:

  1. It warms my heart to read you are making memories with your grandchildren. They are lucky to have you and Tom.

    My husband and I have decided to save up and buy a Sprinter Van and trick it out like a small RV so we can easily follow our kids wanderings as they move on in life. We think the burden of keeping the family connected is on the grandparents. Looking forward to the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy memory to pull an address from college. Wow!

    Hooray for Grandmas playing chess! All your grand kids are LUCKY things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Thoughts of a Grasshopper last night while my parents (visiting) and my husband watched the World Series. I loved it. Apparently, I too, am a grasshopper. Maybe that's why I enjoy reading your blog.

    My parents (83) have been keeping a running score on their pinochle games for about nine years now. My Mom's ahead. By thousands, so Dad claims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try backgammon! I used to play chess with my friends but we switched to backgammon... and I'm hooked!

    How long will you be in Peoria? My parents live there now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you checkmate him? I say go for blood, even if you're playing with infants.

    ReplyDelete