Monday, October 17, 2011

Reasons to have a white sofa even with kids

I have always had a white sofa even with four sons. I like white because it goes well with primary colors. In fact it looks good with almost any color. And white looks luxurious.

My mother was off the farm and practical to her eyeballs. She announced once in her Relief Society meeting when I was present that I had a white sofa and shuddered convulsively as she said it. I suppose white could be a rebellion.

My white sofas all had custom-made slip covers made from white sailcloth. I had arm sleeves made for easy short cleanups. When the sofa was soiled, I washed the slipcover in the washing machine and it looked brand new.

Pottery Barn carries a great slipcovered sofa, the PB line (see pic above). They wash up beautifully.

Ikea has several white slipcovered sofas, the Ektorp being a favorite. I don't think these wash up as well, but a replacement slipcover is only fifty bucks, so you can afford to replace it once in awhile. The Ektorp is hard as a rock when it's new. For another hundred dollars you can have the foam replaced with a better quality foam making the seating more comfortable.

White: you know when it's dirty and when it's clean. Beige: it always looks dirty. Who knows what's hidden in darker colors.

The downside: putting the slipcovers back on the sofa can be a pain in the back. I've always found it worth it, though.

Hit me, Heather.


6 comments:

  1. I decorated my home in Phoenix with white duvets, white couches (the very same ones from PB you cited) white canvas Ikea bar stools, white towels and white sheets. And like your mother, everyone shuddered. But I didn't care. I wanted something bright and different from all this dark wood I have here in Canada. And the accents add colour. You'll feel right at home in that Phoenix place. Let me know when you want to go and we will make those arrangements for you to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have friend who is a rebel. I guess that makes you mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I get tired just thinking about wrestling a sofa slipcover on and off. You win the prize for best upper arms. That is no easy job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on this. I've got a white sofa with a slipcover. It's easy to keep clean---wash and wear. When this sofa dies, I'm sure I'll replace it with another white one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your next life I want you to be an interior designer, okay? And I will hire you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dear,

    i Like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Insideoutvictoria offers a variety of slipcovers for sofas, sofa Slipcovers Toronto & Canada. Our unique slipcover system allows you to change your cover.

    Visit Now - http://insideoutvictoria.com/slipcovered-furniture/

    ReplyDelete