Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11

It's 11:45 p.m. and I don't want to let 11/11/11 slip away without recognizing the date, since none of us is making it to 3011. Maybe Sam and Sarah's baby will live to be a hundred, but I don't wish that on anyone.

Korean women had their babies induced because eleven is a lucky number for Koreans, but the Egyptians closed down tourism at the pyramids, because eleven is an unlucky number for them, and they were afraid of terrorists or pyramids collapsing. There are a few crazies who have prophesied the end of the world, which is always good for a laugh.

In my own family, my forty-five year old cousin, Heidi, got married today. She picked today for the same reason I would have chosen it: three elevens in a row is a beautiful and harmonious thing. She married a lovely, kind man and had one of the most fun receptions I've been to in a long time. The theme of it was mid-century. She stood in front of rows of clotheslines of fifties' handkerchiefs that she's collected over the years. All kinds of foods including lots of molded jello salads which looked and tasted fantastic. Little finger sandwiches made with pink and blue bread . Cakes with pez dispensers placed in them. The tables were covered with white cloths covered with a second cloth of fifties vintage, many of them with crocheted edges. Each table had a vase of flowers and all kinds of memorabilia surrounding each vase. The two flower girls wore dresses made from fifties table cloths. It was a passionate collection displayed artfully.

Heidi wore a silk gown with a heavily laced top, a dress she bought for fifty dollars. It still had the tag in it, so she googled the dress and found it went for $3500 retail. So maybe 11 IS a lucky number. Lots of happines mixed with sadness, because her mother, Henny, died this year at age 80. Henny used to take Gerard and me on the bus to Primary in Holland. She was seventeen then.

Tom took the wedding pictures with our grandson, Harrison's help. I took backup pictures with my camera. My other duty was to herd people in groups into the corner where Tom had lights and a backdrop set up.

The bride's father, Joe, my favorite uncle, yodeled. What is a wedding reception without yodeling? And I got to see the leftover aunts and uncles who still speak with Dutch accents and call me Loesje . They are all in their eighties and nineties. My uncle Govert sang me a Loesje song that I'd never heard before.

I love these occasions when I can see cousins and aunts and uncles, all of us very Dutch, all of us looking quite a bit alike.

11/11/11 was a fine day. Was it fine for you?


3 comments:

  1. "What is a wedding reception without yodeling?"
    I love it.

    I have always embraced that our family reunions exhibit the fact the we share a physical resemblance to each other. (Also Dutch, but we came over in the 1600s.)

    Our son, with his 10 roommates (track team), ran 11 miles at 11:11 am yesterday, beginning and ending their run at 1111 High Street (their home.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Louise. Or should I call you Loesje? I spent 11/11 at my niece's wedding in Vegas. No Elvises involved.

    ReplyDelete