Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mother

Dear Mother,

Today is your 90th birthday. I am sitting in bed in my bathing suit, determined to go swimming, but not until I've looked at all the photos of you at varying ages. I picked the one above for the blog. This is you when I was growing up. That's your sink, your kitchen. The curtains and the wallpaper changed, but not much else.

You're wearing a skirt, so this is the fifties. I may have taken this photo with my Brownie camera. You often sang in Dutch when you worked. Dinner was on the table every night at 5:30 when Daddy walked in the back door.

In summer, you sat on the porch and talked to neighbors and us and moved the hose around the front lawn every twenty minutes. You bought doughnuts at Dunford's Bakery. On Friday mornings, you chatted with Gus, the Cloverleaf milkman, at the kitchen table. He was German, you were Dutch. The war was over. So it goes.

You belonged to the Book of the Month Club and spent at least an hour each afternoon, reading a novel. Later, you read whatever novel I was reading. And you read my journals.

You sewed my clothes. One of my favorite memories is going downtown with you to the Yardstick to buy Bates cotton for a dress and then stopping at Pennies to buy Cashews for the ride home on the bus. On those outings, I had you all to myself.

You played board games with us.

You are ninety and dead. Your younger sister is 88 and alive. Your older brother is 92 and alive. Your younger brother is 84 and alive. Why not you? Why can't you be alive and well like Govert? Who gets to decide these things?

I have questions, Mother. How much of what you did was because of Daddy? Did YOU want to go to America too? Were you a believer?

I suppose none of it matters. We do what we do for whatever reasons. What does matter, Mother? If I could call you on the phone, that's what I'd ask. What does matter? And what are you doing now? Please tell me it's not an endless round of missionary work, and sitting through dull planning meetings. Are the older dead instructing the younger dead how to be a better dead person?

I hope you're playing baseball and soccer. I hope you're swimming the breaststroke. I hope you and Daddy sail in that sailboat for two. I hope he's telling jokes that make you laugh. I hope you're running a race or speeding on your bike.

Happy Birthday, Mother.















9 comments:

  1. It's my mother's 55th birthday today. Last night I dreamed that when I woke up she was in the living room. We decided to go to see a play on Broadway. Somehow during the play, I ended up topless. And then a lovely Louise Plummer rolled her eyes at me and said, "Nice, Kerry. Nice."

    happy birthday to the mothers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This . . . made me cry, actually. So lovely, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Ann! As I read about how you wonder what your mother is doing in eternity, I thought of this talk I once heard, "What Is This Thing Men Call Death." Have you listened to it? I like Brent's insights, but I think he mentions there's missionary work involved in the afterlife:)
    http://byutv.org/watch/f24646b1-0945-4d33-872c-ac95e564ec73

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sat in the temple this afternoon looking around at all the old people there. Lifted arthritic hanbs. Varnished nails. Hearing aids behind their ears. All had grey hair. All were so beautiful to me at that moment.

    I like what you ask: Who decides? I dunno. I shed a few tears too. I don't want to grow old Louise. And I don't want to die. Oh I know all the doctrine that suggests it could be better and we would rather be there blah blah. I haven't seen enough. Eaten enough. Met enough. Talked enough. Mostly I haven't lived enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There can be no planning meetings in heaven; those happen in outer darkness.

    I would love to ask some of those same questions to my grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful post. I love. And oh how I agree with you about the sitting in planning meetings and doing endless missionary work.

    ReplyDelete