Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Broken, really broken arm

It was my father's birthday over the weekend. He and my mother had birthdays within four days of each other. He's probably enjoying all that missionary work in the hereafter.

Anyhow, I want to tell the story of the ten-year-old Louis (my father) when he broke his arm. This is a medical story of old Holland.

He broke his arm. The doctor set it and put it in a cast. He wore the cast for six weeks. The doctor took it off. Louis was "healed."

But on the playground at school, he had pain when he hung from the monkey bars and his gym teacher looked at his arm, which was crooked, and said, "Your arm isn't set right; you need to go back to the doctor."

So Louis and his mother returned to the doctor. The doctor examined it and said, "You're right, it needs to be reset."

Without warning, the doctor took Louis's arm and broke it over his knee much to the consternation of Louis and his mother.

The first time I heard this story is when Dad took us bowling to the after-midnight special at the
North Temple bowling alley. I was ten or eleven. Dad couldn't bowl straight and he told us the story of his arm. In fact his arm curved slightly beneath the elbow. We kids shuddered to hear it.

So if God said to my father, "You can go back and repeat your life over again," I think he would say "No thanks."

Same here. I'd have to go to Chuckie Cheeses again and sit through a three hour program of the Minnesota Symphony playing Holst's The Planets.

What is it you wouldn't care to repeat?


10 comments:

  1. All of high school. Thanks so much for the memories, but they were definitely NOT "The Best Years of Your Life" for me.
    No one was happier on Graduation Day than me. And I threw my high school reunion invitations in the trash. So, so not interested in repeating any of those 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh. out. Loud.

    LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bratislavian opera. My first anxiety attack. When my mom told me my invincible cat Barkley had died. EFY. Peeing my pants during a half marathon. The swine flu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making an ass of myself when I ran for student office in high school. (I lost every time.)

    Also, I read this post out loud to my husband and he shuddered. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making out with J. Stapley
    Buying the Civic in April
    Shouting a guy down with no tact--that came back around
    Sleeping through so many cultural events in college
    Watching The Avatar 3D on the front row while 7 months pregnant. Major contractions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A job I had at a doctor's office and every moment spent with that crazy unkind doctor

    Finding out I had to completely restart a design project was so excited about and had been putting my heart and soul into for months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Junior high
    Kissing D.D.
    Dating D.D., for that matter
    Getting my daughter through her college application process

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throwing up in a squatter in China while my class of English language-learners waited outside the door (which was just an open doorway).

    Getting in trouble for something I wrote in the local newspaper.

    Childbirths 1 and 4 (4 happened 2 weeks ago and I am still shuddering).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost a junior high election (the 2nd loss that year, my boyfriend broke up with me and I came in last in my first and only race the only time I was on the junior high track team...These three things happened in the same day. I still tear up when I think of that day. There have been a lot of things I wouldn't repeat in my life, but I will never forget how horrible that day was!

    ReplyDelete