Friday, December 2, 2011

Up and swimming

I'm back to swimming again. I've been going around ten or ten-thirty in the morning, but I woke up early today and have already been. The reward is sitting in the hot tub with the jets massaging my aching back.

What to think about while crossing back and forth: well, I start out with complaints and then realize that I am the narrator of my own life, and do I really want to continue in this vein? No. So I pray instead. In a half hour, you can pray about a lot of things and people. I begin and end with thanks. Hot water, Tom, family and friends are always on the list.

I consider what I might do in the future. Maybe I should go to the library twice a week to write. Not a novel. I'm no longer interested in writing novels. Family stories. War stories. Geography and place.

Maybe I'll teach again.

Or maybe I'll make a list of knock-knock jokes for Elliot to memorize, since the ones he tells do not make one bit of sense.

Or I'll read something difficult like Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, which I am now reading.

I seem to be interested in domestic life in a way I've never been before. There's a thrill in knowing that even behind cupboard doors things are clean and organized. Definitely channeling my mother there.

Anne is coming to live with us for awhile. I'll ask her if she'd like to learn the front and back crawl. Maybe she'll say yes.


6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to talk with you about Cutting for Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swimming is therapy for me. I never miss it.It forces you to be quiet (can't talk while you're under water) and think.

    Also, I wish my cupboards were clean and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. only 3 of those sounded fun. Creating knock-knock jokes, teaching and writing. The others like reading is just blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will we be seeing Anne? I hope so.

    I pray when I run. It's very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are you talking about, Mira? You like to read! It's not blah blah blah! Grandma, I'll definitely learn the front and back crawl if you teach me. Keep in mind that I've never taken a swim class before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutting for Stone - loved first 2/3rds. And then it went sideways.

    Knock Knock Joke:
    Knock Knock
    Who's there !
    Banana !
    Banana who ?
    Banana split so ice creamed !

    What happened to the grasshopper?

    ReplyDelete