Monday, July 16, 2012

Painting is my new passion

Poppies--acrylic and watercolor
This is the first painting I've done that I've dared post.  It's like coming out of the closet.  It's about 13 inches by 13 inches and it's copied from a small photo  I like the result.  In my heart of hearts I've thought that if you're giving up being a pretty good fiction writer then you must replace it with another creative act and for me that is painting.  I've gone from describing the image to recreating it.

In painting, like writing, you must find your voice.  I'm still searching.  It's a struggle every second.  I've done hours of really bad painting and will continue to do hours of bad painting.

It only takes 10,000 hours (quoting Malcolm Gladwell).

And who doesn't like poppies?

12 comments:

  1. I love your poppies! I'm so proud of you! I am working on finding my voice in accounting. It's an interesting problem of itself, with the twist of being a 41-year-old mother of five among upper-division undergraduates headed for the Big 4 accounting firms. I am developing a pretty good list of what is not my voice. The Big 4 are at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CSIowa, how did you get from comparative lit. to accounting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could add your beautiful poppies to this site:
    http://studiomargot.ro/workstop/the-poppy-spree-click-here-to-attend-the-workshop/famous-poppy-painters-in-the-art-history

    I hear you loud and clear. As Rohinton Mistry said: "Such a long way to go" as I struggle to find my voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I recently saw a young man traveling with his wife. While she sunbathed by the rooftop pool at our hotel, he pulled out a sketchbook and watercolors and got to work. I wished I was inclined to draw and paint in my travel journals. But all I do is write for now. But you! You can do both now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise, that is beautiful!
    Good for you.
    I think writing and painting are good complements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the lighting in your painting, and I really am impressed with the stems in the vase. (I know, I know, I should be appreciating the poppies, but really: great stem work!) I have more canvases than I care to admit sitting in my art room, in the "stall" mode. Maybe if I pay attention to your progress, it will jump-start mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. It's inspiration on several levels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise, when I grow up I want to be just like you: beautiful, well-dressed, funny, artistic. And tall.

    Love,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I'm getting shorter each year.

      Delete
    2. This does not bode well for me. Did Sarah need *all* of the tall genes?

      Delete
  10. Your poppies make me happy. And your post reminds me that I used to paint in my youth and it was good for my soul. Why did I stop?

    ReplyDelete