Saturday, January 5, 2013

Twelfth Night

Tonight is the twelfth night of Christmas, a fact I didn't know until blogger, Trish, catalogued the twelve days of Christmas on her blog (twebsterarmstrong.blogspot.com).  It took me nine days to hone in on what she was doing, because, people, I didn't know that the twelve days of Christmas began on Christmas day and ended on January 5.

I knew the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." I'd heard about Boxing Day, but didn't know a thing about all the feast days named after saints.

Last night, I lay in bed fretting about my woeful Christian education.  If I'm an example, then it is no wonder that many people think Mormons aren't Christian.  We begin with Jesus, skip a couple of thousand years and move right onto Joseph Smith and 1830.  Unless we're Latin or middle-ages scholars, we know nothing, except that Martin Luther was "inspired."

Excuse me for using the royal "we."  It may be that I'm the only one who wasn't paying attention in seminary when we covered those 2000 years.

Dumb as a partridge in a pear tree.

3 comments:

  1. Me too. Dumb as a partridge (I couldn't even identify a partridge) in any tree. And yeah, I have been completely embarrassed by a couple of my Roman Catholic Priest clients who have patiently filled me in on the gospel parts I missed in my 4 years of intensive high school seminary and 2 years of institute classes in college. What the heck did I learn for 6 whole years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about all the history and such behind the twelve days of Christmas, but I do know that today (Three Kings Day) is an excellent excuse to get/give one more present! On January 5th, we leave out a box of grass for the camels who came with the wise men, and by the 6th the camels have come through and left us a present to say thanks. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing - not at, but with. Everyone has their own ways to celebrate the holidays. Today is Epiphany. I have a duck swimming in my bathtub. (Those two facts are not related. One is observed by many Lutherans, and one is observed by only two Lutherans.)

    ReplyDelete