Thursday, July 23, 2015

Today's diversion: Shasta's Airflyte 16



After our breakfast with the other Plumskies this morning (always delightful), Tom and I needed a diversion from the mundane difficulties of every day life and decided to drive north and see this delicious remake of the 1965 Shasta Airflyte.  I'm a sucker for those aluminum wings on the back.

This red one looks terrific, but I really liked the yellow one the best--it also had the black and white tile floors which are as Dutch as the cows of the same color.  We sat and chatted with Al, the salesman, who was raised in Kaysville and was born in 1961, the year I graduated from high school.  So, it was a little like sitting in a trailer court and chatting with a neighbor.

Tom and I fantasized about driving down to Texas and through all the southern states we haven't seen.  I'm especially interested in Oxford, Mississippi where Faulkner grew up.  And, of course, the fabulous Charleston and Savannah.  I can imagine taking up a whole fall season to make this trip with nothing but levis, t-shirts and underwear packed.

This puppy costs an even $16,000.  You can take 12 years to pay with 4% interest.  Hahahahahaha.
Then you have to buy a truck to pull it. That's a lot of motel rooms.

Still the fantasy was diverting and we ended with an ice cream cone from Baskin-Robbins.

Love you, Al.  I have your card!

No comments:

Post a Comment