Monday, July 18, 2016

Kids' movies

A couple of weeks ago, I took Sally, Louis and Elliot to see Finding Dory, which was so boring. Even they knew it was boring. "It wasn't funny," Elliot said. "It was just sad."

Sally (4) got the message. The minute the lights went up she fell into emotional bawling. "I want my mom and dad," she sobbed. Whaaaa! Whaaaa! Whaaaa!

Did she want to go home? No. She just wanted to cry her sadness out through the theater and into the women's bathroom and out to the car.

I was okay with that.  "Let's go to my house and watch My Little Pony," I said. She nodded. Good idea.

We have three computers, one for each of them. Perfection.

I said we could do better the following week.  And we did with The Secret Lives of Pets, which was funny. Plus, it took place in NYC and Brooklyn which were astonishing in a cartoon. NYC deserves its own cartoon.

Finding Dory was like standing in front of an aquarium for two hours.


1 comment:

  1. I am not familiar with this story (Dora). This weekend a niece was visiting (3rd grade teacher). We discussed movies today as opposed to "back then" (she is thirty-something, I am 56.) We agreed that, as children, we did not search for meaning in our movies. Cinderella was poor and had birdy friends and found a prince. Jungle Book was full of animals and fun songs. Peter Pan also had fun songs, plus a scary pirate and a crocodile. Lady and the Tramp was about a Cocker Spaniel and a stray dog. I didn't read any socio-economic meaning into that love story. My niece and I agreed that childhood things don't need to have lessons built into each and every moment. Sometimes it's just fun to belt out Zippadoo-dah and go on with our day.

    ReplyDelete