Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Medical Report


So I've had pain in my hip for years, but I could manage it with over-the-counter medication. This past year, it's gotten more severe, and so I made an appointment with an orthopedic doctor imagining that I would need a hip replacement and be done with it. But NOoooo. I have bursitis, the gift that keeps on giving. He sent me off to physical therapy. This was weeks ago. I was horribly skeptical of physical therapy and put off making an appointment. I got out a cane from an old ankle injury, which kept me from swaying back and forth like the invalid I am. A cane is a wonderful tool if your stupid ego doesn't get in the way.

Anyhoo, I look better than the old crow in the picture above, but I AM her inside. I am a mess of anger, which is occasionally why I sound homicidal in my posts. I really do want to kill people, so don't get in my way.

Today, I went to see Shannon, the physical therapist, and she was young, pregnant, gracious, confident,  and most important of all, professional. She assured me that I could strengthen the muscles around my hip bone and relieve the pain. And I believed her. She gave me hope. I felt stronger than I've felt in months. I felt like maybe I could rise from the ashes one more time. That's a lot of hope. Ten minutes of exercises that don't even hurt. I can do that!

I also signed up for piano lessons.

Go, Louise, go.



4 comments: