Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Me and Mahjong (also spelled Mahjongg)

  Last night, Jo Ann drove me to the Jewish Community Center to learn to play Mahjong. (My teeth rattled in my head as I typed the name of the game). There's an entire new vocabulary to learn and images to memorize and signs (be sure to click the tile). Next time, I imagine, I will learn a secret handshake.

I did okay the first hour. I was tracking. I was following directions and asking the right questions. The next two hours my brain melted into a dung heap of stupidity. It was late.  New players kept showing up and we'd have to go over the same material again. I began seeing visions and hearing voices. Jo Ann would move my hands and pretend that I thought of the moves myself. I love her for this, but I wasn't fooled.

I went in with twenty dollars in my pocket and left with three. No I didn't bet, (but there will be betting involved--let's hope it's quarters.)

I bought the official standard hands and rules by the National Mahjong League, Inc, a little encyclopedia of information. We play American Mahjong. I'm sure the Chinese are laughing.

Want proof? See pic below. I look insane:




No comments:

Post a Comment