|Me, posing as Martha Stewart.|
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
So tonight was Thanksgiving and we had it at our house, because we have a house again. (Although Sarah and Erica brought tons of food, including the turkey, which Sam cooked in brine. It was delicious, but when I think of brine, I think of the Great Salt Lake and that slimy stuff they call brine out there. Trust me, you don't want to cook a turkey in that stuff).
Here are some good reasons to have Thanksgiving on Friday instead of Thursday:
1. If you forget something, the grocery store is open. Or if you open up a can of cream of mushroom soup and it smells odd, because the expiration date is June, 1986, then voila, you can run to the store.
(Sam requested the bean casserole with the canned onion rings).
2. You can decorate with Christmas stuff. For the first time ever, we had our tree up today. We had the wreathe. We had a small tree on the piano. Two trees, people. Poinsettias by the boatload.
3. Have Thanksgiving and skip Black Friday. Capitalism at its most vulgar.
4. If you have to work on Wednesday, it's easier to prepare the big meal on Friday.
5. Of course, if you're retired, it doesn't really matter what day it is. Every day is Thanksgiving Day.
I think it's such a friendly holiday: Thanksgiving. Way to go, America!