Sunday, August 30, 2015

Good-bye summer; Good-bye apostasy.

So this has been a happy summer for me: breakfasts with Erica and teenagers, Yellowstone Park, falling in love with Olive and Oscar, marrying Rian and Tate, Bear Lake and, of course, long bouts of Parcheesi with the old man.  I bid it adieu cheerfully, because I'm tired of sweating like a pig and look forward to cooler weather.

And good-bye to apostasy. We took a sabbatical from church, but now we're back and our friends greeted us as if we'd never been gone, which is one of those really good things about church. Thank you, Holly, for blessing my life ever since I've known you but especially today.

And thank you, Sam, for that extraordinary talk of last week at your ward.

At the end of the week I crumbled to pieces with angst and stayed in bed for two days.  Why does this even surprise me anymore?  The wheels on the bus go round and round.

Home teachers came this afternoon.  That cute Justin hugged me three times.  He's fifteen!  And he hugs me! He's going to be a scientist of some kind and he's so articulate about his dreams.  I still believe our children and grand children can save this world with their kindness and their immense and amazing human brains.  Go, kids, go!



6 comments:

  1. Smiles here. Love you, Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good title.

    Hello September. Hello Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you apostatized for the Summer. You're so kick-ass!

    Actually, I love that you seem to know what you need and give yourself permission to do it.

    I made a permanent break from church in January. It took me three years to do it, and I'm still trying to figure out how to tell people. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana Riess called her "apostasy" a sabbatical. Apparently, if you call it a sabbatical, you get to do it for a whole year. Good for both of you! http://janariess.religionnews.com/2015/08/18/a-year-off-from-mormonism/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy to see you last Sunday...I've missed you two!

    ReplyDelete